Apres Ski Lasagna
Coming in from the slopes rosy-cheeked and hungry, wouldn’t it be nice if you thought ahead and had this hearty dinner ready for warm-up in the oven? Fennel seed adds a bright sassy note to this age-old favorite.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (about 5 links)
½ lb – ¾ lb ground beef
½ cup finely chopped onion
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp fine sea salt
2 tsp dried organic basil
½ tsp organic fennel seed
½ tsp organic ground black pepper
½ tsp organic red pepper flakes
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
4 cups canned tomatoes, undrained (2 lb, 3 oz)
2 cans (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 12 curly lasagna noodles
For Cheese Sauce:
- 1 container (15 oz) cottage cheese
½ tsp fine sea salt
1 lb thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage meat from casings; chop.
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, over medium heat, sauté sausage, beef (break up beef with a wooden spoon), onion, and garlic, stirring frequently until well browned (about 20 minutes).
- Add sugar, 1 tbsp salt, basil, fennel, pepper and half of the parsley. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste. Mash tomatoes with wooden spoon.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally until thick – about 1-1/2 hours.
- In 8-quart pot, bring 3 quarts water and 1 tbsp salt to boiling.
- Add lasagna noodles 2 or 3 at a time. Return to boiling. Boil uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain in colander; rinse under cold water. Dry lasagna on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg, remaining parsley and salt. Mix well.
- In bottom of 9” x 13” glass baking dish, spoon 1-1/2 cups of red sauce. Layer with 4 lasagna, lengthwise, overlapping, to cover.
- Spread with 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture; top with 1/3 of the mozzarella; spoon
1-1/2 cups of red sauce over cheese. Repeat layering of noodles, cottage cheese, mozzarella. Top with final layer of noodles, remaining red sauce and mozzarella. Sprinkle ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil, tucking around edges.
- Bake 25 minutes covered. Remove foil and bake additional 25 minutes longer (or until bubbly).
- Cool 15 minutes before serving.