Bourbon Apple Pie
Sugar and spice and … a little bit naughty. But oh sooo fun. No bourbon in the house, but I do have a fifth of Jack Daniels in the cupboard (next to the oven cleaner) for when my mother comes to visit. Last night I sauteed apples with some sugar and spices, poured in some Jack and popped it in a pie crust and it was awesome. This pie is more on the savory than sweet side, so a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream balances the flavors nicely.
Make pie crust
- 6-8 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 ¼ teaspoons Smith & Truslow Organic Apple Pie Spice
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk, stirred (for brushing on lattice crust)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pan.
- Add sugar, salt, apple pie spice and stir till blended
- Add apples and cook for 5-10 minutes
- Add bourbon and cook for 10 more minutes until liquid is reduced and thickened.
- Squeeze lemon into mixture. Let cool
- Add filling to pie shell. Then cut excess dough into strips and criss-cross for lattice top.
- Brush lattice top with egg yolk.
- Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until top crust is golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- 8 servings
- Calories 655, fat grams 35, carbohydrates 63 grams, fiber 5 grams, protein 6 grams