Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger Spice Blend
Our Ginger Spice Blend adds an exotic punch to traditional butternut squash soup. Roasting the squash rather than boiling it enhances its sweetness and results in a richer taste and texture. The addition of apple adds a light citrus twist and the hot sauce is the perfect balance for the natural sugars in the squash.
I just split and seeded the squash and tossed it in the oven while I was getting ready for work. I put the whole thing in the fridge (roasting pan and all) and pulled it out when I got back from work to finish the soup. I had the soup on the table 20 minutes after I walked in the door.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice squash in half and remove seeds.
- Seed and cut apple into quarters.
- Place squash face down on a greased roasting pan.
- Roast squash in the oven for 20 minutes, add apple and roast an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool, and peel skins off squash and apple pieces.
- Add chicken stock, squash and apple to a stock pot. Bring to a boil, and lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, blend using an immersion blender until soup is one consistency and there are no remaining chunks of squash.
- Stir in Ginger Spice Blend, salt, pepper and cream.
- Let soup rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle the top of each bowl with Cholula sauce.
Tags: Butternut Squash Soup