A year ago, I was testing out this gingerbread recipe using our Ginger Spice Blend. I was just pulling it out of the oven when Ann, my neighbor, appeared at my door wanting to know what smelled so good. This was the first time I met Daniel, not quite two, newly adopted from Russia. He was pale and skinny, speechless, and had pure blue eyes filled with trepidation.
We sat down for a cup of tea, and gave Daniel his first taste of gingerbread. I put a small bite on his stroller tray, and after watching both Ann and I each take a bite, he too took a taste. He watched us, unable to understand a word we said, and didn’t even try to speak any of the Russian he already knew. Totally silent, he slowly reached his hand out toward the gingerbread, indicating he wanted more. I can’t tell you how much my heart grew watching that little boy, pale as a ghost, eating gingerbread.
Now a year later, I listen for him in the hall outside our condo. When I open the door, I hear him sing “Jean”, and immediately get ready to catch him as he runs straight at me and launches into the air. He is all boy, has endless energy, and shows little resemblance to the pale listless child who arrive a year ago. He is a sponge, absorbing everything around him, constantly in search of ball to throw, and a companion with whom to play.
Whenever I make this gingerbread, I think of Daniel, and the world that awaits him, and what he will make of it with his unbridled enthusiasm.
Daniel’s Holiday Spice Gingerbread
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup molasses
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons Smith & Truslow organic Ginger Spice Blend
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in molasses, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and Smith & Truslow Ginger Spice Blend.
- Stir flour mixture into wet batter in small batches being careful not to over-beat.
- Bake 30-45 minutes in a preheated oven. Toothpick test the center of the cake to determine if it is done.