Chicken Divan Lasagna
The beauty of this dish is that once you prepare it, your entire dinner is done. Vegetables (broccoli and mushrooms), protein (chicken), calcium (cottage cheese, milk and swiss cheese) and carbs (noodles). Throw it in the oven, pour yourself a glass of chilled Chardonnay, and relax!
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
12 curly lasagna noodles
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
½ lb mushrooms
1 tbsp butter
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
2 bunches fresh broccoli
Pinches of fine sea salt and organic ground black pepper (to taste)
1 container (15 oz) cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ tsp organic ground nutmeg
FOR WHITE SAUCE
- ½ cup butter
½ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp organic poultry seasoning
½ tsp organic ground nutmeg
¼ tsp each of fine sea salt and freshly organic ground white pepper
3 cups homogenized milk
½ cup white wine
½ lb grated Swiss cheese (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Boil noodles until tender. Drain and gently toss with a little oil to prevent sticking. Then, carefully spread noodles out on waxed paper.
- Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces. Thickly slice mushrooms.
- Melt ½ tbsp butter in wide, shallow saucepan, over medium heat. Add half of chicken and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until browned (about 4 minutes). Place in bowl and repeat with remaining butter, chicken and garlic. Do not rinse pan.
- Cut broccoli into florets and coarsely chop. Stir broccoli and mushrooms into a frying pan. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until broccoli is bright green (about 8 minutes). Add chicken. Season with salt and pepper, and toss.
- In a medium bowl, mix cottage cheese with egg, Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Add butter to saucepan used for cooking the chicken. Place over medium heat. When butter is bubbling, whisk in flour and seasonings. Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in milk, whisking constantly to keep mixture smooth. Continue whisking gently until sauce thickens and is boiling (about 10 minutes).
- Whisk in white wine and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat bottom of 13” x 9” glass baking dish with 1 cup sauce. Arrange a layer of 4 noodles over the sauce. Cover with half of the chicken and 1/3 of the remaining sauce. Make another layer of noodles. Spoon cottage cheese mixture over top.
- Layer remaining chicken and half of remaining sauce over cottage cheese. Arrange another layer of noodles. Finish with remaining sauce, and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake lasagna, uncovered, in center of oven until bubbling, and top is golden brown (about 45 minutes)