Clams with Fennel, Tomatoes and Arugula
The bright green from the arugula and the red from the tomatoes create a lovely palate. Fennel adds a note of licorice-like perfume to the broth. Serve with crusty baguettes and butter for an easy and elegant meal.
Pairing Suggestion: A dry white Riesling complements the spice from the red pepper. We enjoyed it with a 2006 Snow White Riesling from Snow Farm Vineyards. Or, a very lightly oaked chardonnay works nicely with the butter in the broth and bread.
4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced pounds of clams, preferably little necks
1 teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
carton of cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
bunch of arugula, washed
1 cup water
half a bottle of dry white wine
1 stick of butter cut into small pieces
fine sea salt and organic ground black pepper to taste
1. Sautee fennel in olive oil in large pot until translucent and caramelized.
2. Add red pepper and sauté briefly.
3. Add tomatoes, arugula, clams, water and wine.
4. Steam until clams open (about 5 minutes).
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with bread to soak up broth.