Cranberry Banana Bread
We are a family of banana lovers, but somehow by the end of the week there are always one or two “overly mature” left-overs. Luckily we are also fans of banana bread, banana muffins, banana… so I’m always scouting for new banana recipes. This one is less distinctly “banana-y”, and a nice addition my standard fare. (Amazing how far a little freshly ground organic spice goes. This is a denser loaf—heart-healthy and wholesome tasting—with a yummy hint of cinnamon.)
- ¼ cup margarine, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 or 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- non-stick vegetable oil spray
- In large bowl, mix butter, sugar, and 1 egg. Beat until smooth. Beat in second egg.
- Add mashed bananas and cranberries. Mix.
- In second bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add all of the dry flour mix to the banana mixture at one time. Stir only to moisten.
- Grease 9″x5″x3″ loaf pan with non-stick spray. Transfer batter into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour (or until test knife comes out clean).
- Let stand 10 minutes, and remove from pan to cool.