Curried Chicken Soup
Care to Curry?
With the country dropping into a deep freeze, it is the perfect time to share my favorite curried chicken soup recipe. It is a meal in a bowl – veggies, carbs, and protein all in one pot. If you need more kick, add more cayenne. Serves 4 as an entree and six as a side.
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- ½ large onion, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 2 celery stalks, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 14 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney)
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
- 1½ teaspoons organic curry powder
- ½ teaspoon organic ground cayenne
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ coconut milk ( I just freeze the rest of the can in small baggies)
- 1 cup raw egg noodles, broken
- 6 oz of fresh spinach leaves
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- Sautee onions, celery, and carrot in 1 Tablespoon olive oil for 5 minutes
- Puree sauteed vegetables with 2 cups chicken stock and ½ can of cannellini beans in blender until smooth.
- Sautee chicken in 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes, add curry powder and cayenne and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add pureed vegetables to chicken. Add peanut butter, and cream of coconut and bring to a boil. Add egg noodles and boil for 5 minutes. Add rest of cannellini beans, reduce heat and simmer for 3 more minutes. Add lime juice, cilantro, spinach an black pepper just before serving.
- Nutrition Info/Serving (4 servings total): Calories 517, Fat 24 grams (Saturated 7, Polyunsaturated 4, Monounsaturated 11), Cholesterol 54 mg, Sodium 801 mg, Total Carbohydrate 47 g, Dietary Fiber 15g, Sugar 3g, Protein 35g