Delfina’s Insalata Del Campo
Owner and acclaimed chef Craig Stoll shared this with San Francisco Chronicle readers. There isn’t much that you can make at home that recaptures the magic of Delfina Restaurant, but this comes close.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 head radicchio
- 1/2 head frisee, tender light green leaves only
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 4 thick slices pancetta
- parmesan wedges
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper.
- Core the radicchio and cut cross-wise into thin ribbons.
- Tear the frisee into small pieces.
- Combine the radicchio, frisee and arugula in a salad bowl.
- Add the walnuts
- Render the pancetta slowly in a skillet until almost crisp. Drain briefly on paper towels. then cut into 1/4 wide slices. Add to the salad.
- Toss the greens with the vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave as much parmesan as you like into the salad.
- Toss again gently. Shave a little more parmesan on top.
Tip by chef: Use enough dressing to coat the greens well.