Herb Marinated Caprese
The simple step of infusing the olive oil with dried thyme, oregano and red pepper flakes before drizzling it on the mozzarella adds verve to this lovely, aesthetically pleasing classic from the island of Capri.
- Fresh mozzarella, 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried organic thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried organic oregano
- fine sea salt (to taste)
- Organic ground black pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil, bunch, cut in thin strips
- Tomatoes, 4-5 of the best quality you can find
- 1 and ½ tablespons balsamic vinegar (preferably white but red is fine)
- baguette, thinly sliced
- Slice mozzarella and tomatoes in similar thicknesses.
- In a small bowl, stir oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper together with olive oil.
- Pour herb-infused olive oil over mozzarella and let sit for at least one hour.
- On large platter, arrange tomatoes and mozzarella in layers. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and garnish with shredded fresh basil.
- Serve with sliced baguettes.