Luck O’ the Irish Guinness Caramel Sauce
“Are you going for a pint?”
Much more romantic that the American pick up version, “wanna get a drink?” especially when said with a charming Irish brogue. It’s been a while since my trip to the Irish isle, but that saying still reverberates through my mind every time I pop open a frosty barley glass of Guinness.
When I saw this recipe on the Culinary School of the Rockies website, I just had to give it a try. The earthy bitter taste of the Guinness is a perfect complement to the sweetness of home made caramel.
Happy Saint Patty’s Day!
- one 15 oz can Guinness beer
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons butter, chilled and diced
- dash of salt
- Simmer Guinness and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat for about 40 minutes.
- Once the mixture thickens, whisk in the butter and salt.
- Serve over vanilla bean ice cream or chocolate cake.
- “I have made an important discovery…that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxication.”
- - Oscar Wilde, In Conversation